Sunday, November 6, 2011

Still alive!

It seems like forever ago the last posting.  I don’t think there’s anyway to recap what we’ve all done.  I’m just going to have to try to post more often.  Even if it’s nothing exciting Smile 
DSC_4747
So here we are doing our Apologia plant study, creating our own playdough plant with stem, leaves, stamen, calyx, pedals and carpel.
DSC_4750DSC_4751DSC_4752DSC_4757DSC_4759
DSC_4760And of course, Zephan’s has outriggers!
DSC_4764For Kzena’s own science she’s been learning about the life cycle of a moth or butterfly.  We totally forgot to take a picture of her CUTE caterpillar that we have now ‘cocooned’.  Is that a word?   It must be, it doesn’t have a red line under it! Smile with tongue out 
***
The kids love to carve pumpkins.  But…  getting your hands dirty???  This look says it all:
DSC_4799cropped

DSC_4803DSC_4805DSC_4817DSC_4818DSC_4810DSC_4826DSC_4827DSC_4838DSC_4842
DSC_4837
Very proud of her hard work!

DSC_4869
The finished artwork!  From left to right: Zaraya, Kzena, Zephan, Ezra and Robbie.

DSC_4762This sweet pea of a girl was returned home (a good thing I do believe) on Oct 31 – Our first annual “Family Day”.  Fitting isn’t it?
I was chatting with a good friend about Halloween and Vern and I decided to throw the idea out to the kids of doing a Family Day vs. going out trick or treating.  We would take the whole day on the 31 and celebrate US.  Activities we would do together: 
Watch a new (to us) movie
Buy our favourite candy
Play games
Have a fun dinner AND…. da da dahhhh….
No school!! 
Hands down.  Family Day won over trick or treating.  And you know?  It was a fabulous day!  It was so relaxing, with no expectations of anyone, except to eat candy and have fun.  We played Sorry, UNO and Ticket to Ride.  This was our first time playing Ticket to Ride and it’s a great game!  Getting a movie was not the easiest thing, since we’re down a video store here, but we borrowed a friends dvd library and ended up watching ‘Over the Hedge’ which they all seemed to enjoy.  I think this tradition is one that we’ll be keeping!    

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Seriously fantastic pumpkins, I'm impressed! Love the dishwasher photo (we have the same one of Matthew!!) Thanks for sharing tidbits of your life, I love looking at your photos ;)

mrs.smith said...

Awesome family day! LOVE the horse pumpkin!