Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Apologia

Have I ever mentioned how much we love Apologia Science?   This year the boys are doing, "Anatomy and Physiology" along with the Apologia Notebooks.  We are just finishing up chapter 3.  Here's a recap of this course so far.  I think I have taken pictures of all experiments.

Chapter one:  what is anatomy and cell anatomy.  The project called to make a cell out of jello, then you have different types of candy that are different sizes & shapes representing all the little parts that make up a cell. The cytoplasm, mitochondria  lysosomes, Golgi body, endoplasmic reticulum, ribosomes, centrioles and the nucleus.  The result:  INTERESTING! Of course: the girls can not miss out.



 Trying to get the candies to stay IN the jello was quite the task.


 Zephan does NOT like to get his hands dirty so this is a bit of a struggle for him.  I know.  It's hard to believe this characteristic exists within this wild child of mine but it does.






 The bonus is:  They know their cells!



Chapter two:  Skeletons.  We all learned some pretty fascinating facts about bones and their names in this chapter. The most fun was had by all when we learned how the skull & fluid protects the brain.  

The boys each got 2 eggs.  The first egg was put into a container not much bigger than the egg.  Sealed. 


 And bounced on the trampoline.


 Yup.  Scrambled.


 The second egg was put into the same container (after it was washed out) and was filled with water.  Sealed.

  Bounced on trampoline.


 When the eggs survived, the girls got a turn.  Still survived.


 So all four decided to jump.  They are TRYING to break the eggs at this point.  I was excited about the hours of exercise they were getting.  Any mom need tips on how to get their kids' energy out??  How many eggs are in your fridge?


It took forever for Zephan's egg to break but his did break first.  Ezra's was put into the fridge to be bounced not one more day but two more days before it finally cracked!!!  Seriously?  yup! Wow, eh??  I don't suggest it, but our brains can take a beating!!  God's design of our skeletons is pretty amazing!

For the final project on skeletons we needed chicken wings.  It just happened to be Thanksgiving, so we used turkey wings instead.  I didn't get any pictures, though I sure wish I did when I said they had to clean off the bones.  "WITH MY FINGERS?!?!?!" hahahahahahaha.  ok.. so, they soaked one bone in water for three days, the other bone in vinegar.  They found that vinegar makes the bone soft and easy to bend, as it removes the calcium from the bone.  So make sure you get your calcium!

Chapter three is learning about muscles.  Yup, the good ol' gluteus maximus.  They boys thought this rolled off their tongues in a fascinating way and repeated it so often, I found my four year old (soon to be five! GASP) using 'gluteus maximus' in the proper way in her playings.  

For fun things throughout this chapter we bashed each others knees to make them jump, examined our roast beef dinner through a magnifying lense, and could NOT hold our arm straight out in front of us for 5 minutes.  

In their notebooks the boys had to write up a news article for the "Muscle Times".   For these notebooking activities they are pretty much on their own.  Each chapter has a section for fascinating facts page, a 'what do you remember?' page with review questions, a vocabulary crossword, copywork scripture verse, usually an assignment for that chapter specifically and a mini book.  We've not done all the mini books so far.  I looked at the assignment and thought, 'uh oh.  They are not going to like this!"  I was right.  I never said a word.  Then they handed in their notebooks. And I think did a fabulous job!!

Zephan:


Ezra:


Next week we will begin a new adventure in chapter 4 - the digestive and renal systems.  




No comments: