Friday, September 9, 2011

This week....

Looking back over this week makes me smile. The kids all worked so hard.  They were more excited on day 1 than this morning but they still worked hard.  One of the favourite subjects is science.  The boys are doing Apologia's Exploring Creation with Botany.  When we opened the text Zephan exclaimed, "Plants! I don't like Plants!"  And yet he was the one outside later with a magnifying glass, notepad and pencil examining the plants in our yard.  HEY!  Weeds are plants so they count!    

One assignment we had to do was practice taxonomy - with shoes!  This was the pile they each started with and had to 'classify'.  They started off dividing up the shoes in a total different way but in the end their piles were quite similar.  It was interesting to say the least.   I was proud of them - they dug in with two feet and had fun.

I really need to take more pictures of them doing different things during the day if I am going to blog about it.

Zaraya is not officially in Kindergarten until next fall, but we like to humour her.  She has a "maff book" and abc flashcards, and wants to learn to read.  Today she spent some time with me..  rather, she announced it was her turn to read her (level aa) a-z reading books.  Such a brutal task... to snuggle on the couch reading. I love it!

Kzena is loving reading the raz-kids on the computer.  She plows through everything so fast - I need to slow her down some to make sure nothing's missed.  Now that she has been feeling better for a longer length of time, we are covering more areas of learning which she seems to be enjoying. I've really enjoyed the one on one time spent with her this week.



This is the corner of our school/office/storage room that I have been working on so that we can actually  use the schoolroom for school.  It is working out way better than I figured.  In this room we do All About Spelling, math, art and writing.  It's nice to be able to separate ourselves from the dining room table for a while, or to have the kids working in different rooms.  There is enough room for the table to lift on both sides.  It is squishy, but workable.

The bible passage that we are working on is Ephesians 6.  So far.. 2 verses down!  Way to go!

1 comment:

mrs.smith said...

Your spelling corner and chalk board wall are AWESOME! Enjoy your new learning space! The botany sound like it is fun and will have some good games in it! Happy 1st week of school M.D. Elementary! Can you tell we are excited for you with all this punctuation!!!! Lol :)